If you’re considering performing an “orthodontist near me” search in the hopes of straightening your teeth, we want you to get the most out of your treatment plan, which is why we’re dishing out some straight talk on straightening teeth. Getting braces can seem like a daunting challenge. You may be asking yourself - who is the best dentist or orthodontist near me? Should I get Invisalign or metal braces? Which option is the most effective? That’s why we’ve compiled a list of things you should know from an orthodontist at Bogota Dental Center. It’s important you go into your next consultation armed and ready for what treatment option is best for you.
METAL BRACES: This is what people typically picture when they think of getting braces. Metal brackets are glued to the enamel of each tooth. Metal wires are then maneuvered between the brackets to help mold and shape your teeth over time. The wires being placed on the bracket can sometimes be made the same color as your enamel, so they’re less noticeable.
INVISALIGN: The basis of Invisalign gives patients the option to have braces discretely because they are made to be invisible. Invisalign uses aligner trays made of BPA-free plastic to subtly and gradually move your teeth. This type of plastic is smooth and comfortable, so wearing the trays is an easy process.
Lets go straight to the point
Benefits of METAL BRACES
1. Irremovable: Metal braces will stay in place, which is good for patients who are worried about losing their trays, or don’t want to have to change their trays out frequently.
2. Treatment time: Because metal braces are irremovable, the treatment time can often be much quicker than Invisalign depending on what the patient needs. They are worn 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and typically stay on for about 2 years for most patients. There is also less temptation to take the braces off if they can’t be removed, which is good for patients that lack self-discipline.
3. Follow up visits: Generally, you should visit your orthodontist at Bogota Dental Center every month for a check up. This is where your orthodontist will see how your teeth are shifting, and may adjust the wires accordingly
4. Cost: The price of metal braces ranges patient to patient. Generally patients can expect to spend anywhere from $2,500 to $5,500.
5. Effectiveness: Patients with fairly complex dental issues may want to consider traditional metal braces as an option.
Benefits of Invisalign
1. Removable: One of the biggest benefits to having Invisalign as a treatment option is that the trays can be removed, allowing you to eat and drink without getting food stuck.
2. Appearance: Most patients tend to prefer Invisalign because the trays are clear. This can be great for adults who have been wanting to straighten their teeth for a while, but have hesitated due to the appearance of having metal braces at an older age. With Invisalign, many people may not even notice when a patient is wearing them. Your treatment is a secret!
3. Comfort: The Invisalign treatment can be a bit more comfortable than metal braces, as there are no brackets that can create sores in your mouth.
4. Treatment time: Invisalign should be worn about 22-24 hours a day for 6 to 18 months. This will also depend on the patient’s needs and if patients have more complex dental issues metal braces may be a better option.
5. Cost: Invisalign averages around $5,000 for treatment. Talk to orthodontist at Bogota Dental Center for pricing options available to you. We finance!
What are the downsides to Braces vs. Invisalign?
Metal Braces: Metal braces may not be good for people in contact sports, as the metal can potentially damage tissue upon contact. Invisalign: Patients that have bridgework, back tooth bite issues, the need to rotate canines or premolars may not be suited for the Invisalign treatment.
So, is Invisalign better than metal braces? The truth is, there isn’t a “better” option. Each benefit will depend on the patient, which is why it’s important to consult your orthodontist for clarification. If you’re leaning one way or another, at Bogota Dental Center we know that cost can be a deciding factor. Talk to one of our staff members about pricing options and payment plans available to you - it may be easier than you think! You can make an appointment by visiting us online or calling at 973-890-0600. We can’t wait to help you decide which straightening option is best for you. Whichever the case, we know your smile will thank you!
We Are Committed To See You Smile.